Welcome To College
Alagappa Government Arts College, Karaikudi is a Co-educational institution founded on 11th August 1947, the year of independence by the great philanthropist late Dr. RM. Alagappa Chettiar. The illustrious and magnanimous founder Dr. RM. Alagappa Chettiar established the college with an aim of providing quality higher education at an affordable cost to the educationally backward people of erstwhile Ramnad District. The College initially functioned in Gandhi Maligai. In 1948 a new building for college was inaugurated by Mr. O. P. Ramasamy Chettiar. Today its sprawling over 664 acres of land with a built up area of 5100 sq.mts.
The College, originally started as a Private College, was earlier affiliated to the University of Madras. Subsequently it underwent a transition in 1985 and came under the administrative unit of the Government of Tamilnadu as per Private Colleges Act 1976. The objective of offering quality higher education to the economically backward students continued even after the Government of Tamilnadu took over the Management of the College in the year 1985. During this period the college affiliation was in the fold of Madurai Kamaraj University, Madurai. Consequent to the establishment of Alagappa University at Karaikudi in the year 2003-04, the College joined in an affiliation with Alagappa University till date. View Details
- News & Events